Monday, April 5, 2010

Tigers Top Prospect has 'sore elbow.'

Tigers pitching prospect Casey Crosby, their Minor League Pitcher of The Year in 2008, has a, "sore elbow," according to The Detoit Free Press, and will miss his first start of the season. I can't begin to describe how much I loathe hearing things like this. In particular I've become extremely jaded by those words because far too often they're followed shortly thereafter by something like, "... will be under going season ending Tommy John surgery."

That I react like that is not something that I'm overwhelmingly proud of, but it really is classic Pavlovian conditioning. It's freaky how those two phrases in quotes above go together - just ask Twins fans.

As for Crosby, the 21 year old lefty is widely considered to be the Tigers top prospect. In his first full season (after coming back from Tommy John surgery in 2007) he dominated A ball. In many ways, Crosby is still working his way back from that operation which makes his performance last season even more impressive.

That he has already had Tommy John surgery is actually a good thing in my mind as its rare to see a pitcher need Tommy John surgery twice. Hopefully - and probably more likely - he might just have some bone spurs that need to be cleaned up. More likely still? Me not having a clue what I'm talking about since, you know, I'm not a doctor.

Anyways, I'm hoping for the best here, the kid has a bright future and you never want to see anyone hurt. Especially someone with his upside.

No comments:

Post a Comment